|Prep time: 5 minutes||Cooking time: 30 minutes||Total time: 35 minutes|
Lentils and rice cooked together and blended together with golden brown fried onions. Best served with a cold cucumber salad or mint-yogurt sauce.
*Cooking time varies slightly based on the variety of lentils. French lentils take a minute or two longer than green lentils.
**based on how done the rice and or lentils are upon the completion of cooking, you may want to leave the lid on or off when allowing the moujadara to rest. Leaving the led on will allow the lentils and rice to cook a bit longer in the remaining steam.
1) Bring three cups of water to a boil.
2) Add lentils to the boiling water and bring down to a low simmer. (you want to be cautious not to over cook them otherwise the become mushy)
4) While the lentils are cooking, dice the onion and saute them in the olive oil until the are golden brown. The more brown they are the sweeter they become.
3) To the partially cooked lentils, add one cup of rice and salt. Give it a stir, cover, and simmer for another 15 minutes on low heat.
4) Pour the olive oil and onions atop the rice and lentils and allow it to sit for a few minutes before stirring them in. Salt to taste.